Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day Fifteen: Wallpaper

We are very lucky that there is only one room in the entire house that has wallpaper. We are unlucky that this room is our hall closet. It is small, it is dark, and it is dirty.

I decided to tackle this project yesterday and, of course, did not take the time to do it right. The wallpaper has to be at least 70 years old and was very dry and crumbly. It had already started coming off the wall in some areas.

So, what do I do? I just start tearing it down. The exciting part is that some of it came of cleanly in very large sheets, the bad part is that some did not and now I have little spots of wallpaper stuck all over that walls.

At the same time the wallpaper is coming down, so are parts of the wall and I ended up covered in plaster dust and 70 year old dirt. It may be one of the dirtiest jobs I have taken on yet.

I am going back today to finish the job and to do it right so that (hopefully) our hall closet walls will not be a nice pattern of old wallpaper and old plaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment