Monday, January 30, 2012

Deconstruction Depot - Coolest Place Ever!

So I don't know if this is funny or not but when we first moved into The House it took us a couple of days to realize that there was not a door on the room which is now our nursery.  I am guessing that on a room that little we never tried to close the door so we never noticed that there was no door there.  Luckily, we found the door in the basement.  Unfortunately, the door was without a doorknob.

Now, living in a 135 year old home, going to Lowe's or Home Depot to pick up a door knob just doesn't feel right.  Although we probably won't close the door to The Nursery all the way, we still wanted to finish the job and make sure all parts of the room were in place - so began our hunt for an nineteenth century doorknob.  We knew we remember seeing one at a local flea market this past summer but flea markets in January are just no fun, so I wanted to save it as a last resort.  We found some on Etsy and Ebay but they seemed terribly overpriced.

This began my hunt for local salvage stores and I came across a website for the coolest place very.  It is called the Deconstruction Depot and is part of an area thrift store where workers go into old homes before they are demolished and remove all of the things there are worth taking.

I mean, look at all this cool stuff:



I have crush on those sliding doors in the back

Hardwood Floors!




Reclaimed wood that I might just have to have The Husband build a table out of
I love that all of this stuff has stayed out of a landfill and because the trend is starting to go towards reclaimed and reused I am hoping this place stays around for a while.  And, because it is part of a thrift store the stuff is CHEAP.  I can't wait to come back and get all sorts of fun stuff when (if) we ever put on our addition.

Oh, and yes - we did find a doorknob:)

No comments:

Post a Comment