Thursday, August 22, 2013

We have Bats!

Yep, you read it right....we have bats.  I have decided that I am going to tell you about our bats in three parts.  Part 1:  Discovery, Part 2: Action, Part 3: Clean up.  We are currently in the thick of Part 2 and I have to say that it is not going as well as we all hoped.  But, I have gotten ahead of myself.  First, let me tell you about the Discovery.

I am going to take you all back a little over two and a half years ago when we moved into Main Street House.  I don't think I have any good pictures of it, but the upstairs of our house had this terrible molding around the top of the walls that we immediately pulled down.  When we took it down it you could hear a sound similar to pea gravel falling down the other side of our walls.  We also had a few pieces of some sort of feces (okay, so I am just going to call it poop from here on out) fall out onto the floor.  Being a bit inexperienced in house pests, we would only assume that we had mice living in our attic.  Okay, we can deal with mice - not a problem.  How did we deal with the mice?  We very quickly opened that trap door into our attic and threw a few mouse traps up there.  Mission accomplished:)

Skip to about a year and a half later and I noticed some more poop on the lid of our deck box that sits outside.  I had no idea what it was from and just assumed that some sort of land animals nocturnal track took it across our deck box every evening.  Until.......this summer. 

I like to get up pretty early in the morning so that I can get my day started before the kids get up.  So, just a few weeks ago I got up and went outside to water the plants.  Since our days are starting to get shorter I was outside watering around dawn - when the bats decided it was time to come home.  It was kind of funny because when Matt (aka The Husband) left for work I was standing over in our side yard trying to spray the hose onto plants in the back yard.  I turned to look at him and all I could say was "we have bats". 

I did manage to finish my watering while avoiding swooping bats - but wholly he-be-je-beez!

Even bigger he-be-je-beez was that evening at dusk when we decided it would be a good idea to go out back and watch them fly out for the evening.  Swooping bats are no joke!

No worries though - they should be gone soon enough.  Did you know that last week was the first week that you are allowed to start the process of ridding your home of bats?  It has something to do with the fact that this is when the babies are finally weaned from their mothers and are flying out on their own.  Fun Fact (because I definitely now know more about bats than I ever wanted to)



No comments:

Post a Comment